An idea of a Low Budget Vegan was epiphanized, sometime around November 19th, 2015, by yours truly. Originally, the concept was going to be ten separate LBⓋ recipe ideas with the cost of ingredients broken down by price by serving to be added up in an overall price by serving sum. LBⓋ 10/10 was reached and I decided to keep going. Not that non-imaginary readers actually read these bloggings. I mean, why would anyone with all the improper english and run-on sentences. If it weren’t for the pictures, even I would lose interest. Anyways.
Ingredients (servings per package) = cost of package @ cost per serving
It’s Super Bowl Sunday, let’s enjoy a beverage, because it is still not baseball season yet.
- Refried Beans w/ Lime (3.5) = $1.39 @ $0.40 per serving
- Red Beans (3.5) = $1.18 @ $0.34 per serving
- Corn (3.5) = $0.95 @ $0.27 per serving
- Serrano (3) = $0.22 @ $0.08 per serving
- Boca ‘meat’ Crumbles (6) = $3.99 @ $0.67 per serving
- Brown Rice (11) = $2.12 @ $0.19 per serving
- Seasonings (SeaSalt/OnionP/GarlicP/Pepper) = $0.04 per serving
- Onion (4) = $0.80 @ $0.20 per serving
- Celery (5.5) = $1.67 @ $0.30 per serving
- Carrot (7) = $0.99 @ $0.14 per serving
- Blackeyed Peas (3.5) = $0.99 @ $0.28 per serving
- Guacamole (12) = $1.97 @ $0.16 per serving
- Cilantro (20) = $0.99 @ $0.05 per serving
- Tortilla (8) = $1.19 @ $0.15 per serving
Summing to $3.27 per serving, the price isn’t as friendly as the amount of delicious food you get for the buck. The rule of thumb is that canned food can be much more expensive than dry beans and other options.
Bringing water to a good simmer, I finely chopped my Onion, Celery, Serrano and Carrot to add into the water with seasonings and Brown Rice. Bringing to a boil, I stirred and then covered and reduced heat. The Beans, Corn and ‘meat’ were heated in a skillet and then rolled into the Tortillas to be baked for a few minutes. Garnished with Guacamole and Cilantro, feel free to make a Ⓥacquito Taco Salad, also.
Quality pictures. Good Beers. Healthy and Wellbeings.